Problem with default sound drivers in Fedora Core 1

Mike Pedersen mike.pedersen at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 17 03:48:08 UTC 2003

Hello, I've recently installed Fedora and have run into a small problem with
the sound drivers.  I am running a Dell Latitude with an Intel sound chip.
I use the speech output with Festival and Gnopernicus to read the Gnome
desktop.  If I use the default sound drivers the speech synthesizer sounds
sort of like someone who has inhaled helium AKA at a very high pitch.  If I
use the "OSS" drivers the speech sounds normal however OSS does not reliably
initialize upon bootup.  I've learned through research that the problem with
the default drivers has something to do with the clock on the sound card or
lack there of but am not sure how to fix the problem.  I'd really rather use
the default drivers so if someone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Thanks much
Mike