Cheap printer advice

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Dec 18 07:02:42 UTC 2003

Juan Lupion wrote:
> After unsuccessfully trying to configure a Lexmark Z23
> (aka "paperweight") I've decided to trash it and buy a new
> printer.

After the whole Lexmark toner cartridge debacle, I wouldn't recommend going
back to them.  I've got an Epson Perfection 1260 inkjet that works right out
of the box with FC1.  There's no additional software to install.  If you
hook up the printer via the parallel port, FC1 auto-recognizes the printer
and you hardly have to do anything to set it up.  Also, the ink colors are
separate so if you run out of one color you don't have to buy any other
colors too.

I've also used a Brother 1270N laser printer.  It works well, but I'm
guessing there are cheaper laser printers that work just as well out there.

Good luck.