two gripes about Evolution ...

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 11:05:35 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:01:44 -0800
Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 December 2003 12:55, Elton Woo wrote:

> > Jesse, would you recommend Sylpheed? I've never tried it...
>
> I used to use it (and it's where I first found the "highlight-quote"),
> but it got somewhat unstable for a while, then there was the whole
> gtk1-gtk2 move, and spell checker issues as well.  I'm not sure the
> current state of Sylpheed.

It's still lacking a built-in spell checker, but it seems quite stable
to me. I dropped evolution when it dropped the emacs-like key-bindings.
Admittedly sylpheed doesn't have all the bindings either, but it does
allow me to fire up emacs at the touch of a button. I also like not
having to keep killing stray processes all the time. Plus it seems much
faster. Then again it's just a mail client not 'groupware'.

Maybe the latest evo is much better - once I get FC1 onto my desktop
machine I'll probably try it out again.

Chris