Tips for using "extra" keyboard keys. Mini-HOWTO

James Drabb JDrabb at darden.com
Thu Dec 18 17:16:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 11:17, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> I recently bought a new keyboard, and as with most new keyboards these
> days, it has a lot of custom keys that won't do anything (out of the box)
> on Linux.
>
> Getting these keys to do anything useful, is a bit involved (and time
> consuming) but not especially difficult. It also depends on a number of
> different factors, such as which window manager you're using.
>
> For those running FC1, Gnome 2.4 and Metacity, and for the benefit of
> those who haven't figured out how to use those extra keys yet, here's a
> quick HOWTO:
>
> Steps 2 and 3 should be run a root.
<snip type="mini-HOWTO">

> -
> Keith

There is an even easier method to cut the HOWTO down even further.

Go to http://www.hadess.net/misc-code.php3 and download ACME, or:
  apt-get install acme

Now just point-n-click to set up your custom keys : )

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Darden Restaurants