IMAP vs Pop3

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Dec 19 02:22:36 UTC 2003

Yes.. You are right..

> At work I use Outlook as a mail client (YUCK!) and use IMAP
YEs me too..

> The IMAP works well but there are a couple of places where I
> see delays.
> It behaves a bit like reading NNTP news.
> - You get one delay when you first look into the mail folder
> while Outlook
> downloads all the mail headers
> - You get another delay when you select an email to be read.

Can you do select, drag and drop ?? eg.. as in an IMAP specific
folder in Outlook containing all the mails in the Linux Server?

Delete what I don't want. Select what I want, drag and drop to
my outlook folder in my Desktop HD??

> POP3 will always download all emails regardless so perhaps
> that is why you are finding it slow?

I want all the emails DLed. I just find it to be slow..
as mentioned.. 100+ emails take like 1+hours to DL to
the Desktop.

so.. is IMAP the solution??