i8kutils + fan control

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Dec 19 02:59:46 UTC 2003

Hi All,

	I have a question regarding the Dell i8k utils. I have a
D600 which is running fine on 2.4.23+cpufreq patch. ACPI works
as well. But the fan does not.

I know there's the i8k package and I can load it up using

insmod i8k force=1

But I can't figure out how to start/stop the fan.

right now, I have no fan control and when running on batt, I get
miserable batt times. I'm wondering if the Fan (which is always
on) could be the problem.

Can anyone tell me the syntax to call the i8kctl util??

I can't seem to figure it out.

Cheers,                                                 .^.
Mun Heng, Ow                                            /V\
H/M Engineering                                       /(   )\
Western Digital M'sia                                  ^^-^^
DID : 03-7870 5168                          The Linux Advocate