WaveBuddy wlan pcmcia wireless netwirk card and Fedora

Omer van der Horst Jansen redhatlist at vdhj.com
Fri Dec 19 05:32:00 UTC 2003

Lorenzo Prince wrote:
> Does anyone hav the WaveBuddy wlan wireless pcmcia card working on Fedora Core
> 1?

I have a Belkin F5D6020 v2 pcmcia card which also uses the Atmel
chipset. Here are my notes (collected mostly from linuxquestions.org if
I remember correctly) about how I got it to work on Fedora Core 1. Maybe
this will work for your card as well:

- download driver release  atmelwlandriver.2.1.1.tar.bz2 from
   http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net -- do not use a later version,
   can't get those to work at all.

- untar driver: tar xvjf atmelwlandriver.2.1.1.tar.bz2

- cd atmelwlandriver

- Edit file scripts/setup.sh to change the line:
   PCMCIADES="/lib/modules/$LV/pcmcia"
   so it instead reads:
   PCMCIADES="/lib/modules/$LV/kernel/drivers/pcmcia"

- Configure the driver build process: make config

- Answer N to every question except:
   Build PCMCIA driver Y
   Build blah Rev D driver Y (some people suggest E instead but D works)

- Build the driver:
   make clean
   make all

   as root, using su -
   make install

- Add these lines to /etc/pcmcia/atmel.conf as per article on
   linux-wlan.com (you may be able to use "/sbin/cardctl ident" to
   get this information for your card)

   card "Belkin F5D6020u (aka. F5D6020 ver.2) WLAN PC Card"
   manfid 0x01bf, 0x3302
   bind "pcmf502rd"

- restart pcmcia ( /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart )

- Start redhat-config-network and should be ready to go.

Sometimes my laptop seems to hang at startup. If I eject the wireless
card and re-insert it the boot process continues and the card works
normally.

HTH,
	Omer