How to burn a ext3 file system on a cd?

Joseph P. Zamzow jzamzow at gate.net
Fri Dec 19 13:47:34 UTC 2003

On Thursday 18 December 2003 09:05, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:02:27 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:49:57 +0100, Hans Müller wrote:
> >> how can i burn a ext3 filesysrtem on a cd?
> >
> > You can't. At least not directly.

As has already been pointed out, it is possible to burn different file system
types to cd. In fact, a file system isn't even necessary as I discovered one
time when I accidentally gave cdrecord a tarball as input rather than the iso
image.  No trouble accessing the file thanks to the magic of *nix... just had
to give tar the device rather than mounting it:  tar xzf /dev/cdrom.  he he.

> I guess the real point is, why would you want to?
>
> Surely ISO9660 (+ extensions) and Mnt. Rainer, covers everything you'd
> ever need to do with optical disks.

At the time I tried doing it I was attempting to incrementally build a file
system for archival purposes... something mkisofs can't do as it's not a
'real' read/write filesystem.  I built a 650M ext2 file system in a file,
mounted loopback.  I could daily add files to be archived and write it to cd
when the file system was full.  Ended up being too much work though.