NIC Bonding: Slaves don't come up on network restart

Richard Duran rduran at dallasairmotive.com
Fri Dec 19 22:49:01 UTC 2003

This doesn't work for us. We have the following configuration:

/etc/modules.conf -
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias eth2 tg3
alias eth3 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter1 megaraid
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias bond0 bonding

/etc/sysconfig/network -
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=10.1.1.1
GATEWAYDEV=bond0

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0 -
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
BROADCAST=10.1.255.255
IPADDR=10.1.5.1
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
NETWORK=10.1.0.0

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0:9 -
DEVICE=bond0:9
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.1.5.52
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
GATEWAY=10.1.1.1

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0:110 -
DEVICE=bond0:110
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.1.5.53
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
GATEWAY=10.1.1.1

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 -
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 -
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
USERCTL=no

(eth2 and eth3 aren't in use).

"service network restart" doesn't bring up the slaves.

regards,
-richard