SBLive setup problem ... analogue sound from CD?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 01:28:38 UTC 2003

Ok, I've been putting this off long enough, time to nail this one down.

I'm using an SBLive (original, not 5:1) Platinum, with a Live!Drive II,
kernel version 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl and the emu10k driver that comes with
that kernel (v0.20 according to the revision history).

I've also installed emu-tools-0.9.4 and have set up both Pcm and Analog to
route to the headphone socket on the Live!Drive.

I have a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW, both with analogue audio cables connected to
"CD" and "AUX" respectively on the SBLive card.

The problem is, I cannot figure out what the correct routing is to get the
CD/DVD analogue output onto the main bus. The main volume control in
aumix has absolutely no effect on either Pcm or Analog.

Currently "IGain" seems to control the "AUX" input on the card, but only
if "Line1" is set as a recording source, otherwise I hear nothing. That
just doesn't make any sense to me at all, why should I need to set a
recording source at all just to hear "AUX"?

Even weirder, although "CD" (in aumix) does in fact control the "CD" input
on the card, I only hear anything if the "IGain" control is not set at
zero? Surely IGain is controlling AUX, not CD?

What I'd like (and this seems normal) is:

"CD" controls CD input.
"<something>" controls AUX input.
"Pcm" contols Pcm.
"Vol" controls everything as a master volume control.
"Bass" and "Treble" are enabled.
Digital Passthrough (to my AV Amp) is enabled.
The headphone socket on the Live!Drive is enabled.
"<something>" controls midi volume.

Forget about all analog output to the sockets at the rear of the card,
I'll never use them.

Also I'd like to be able to use all the various ins/outs on the Live!Drive
for both recording and playback (or passthrough).

The output from "emu-dspmgr -r" currently shows this:

 Routes:
    Pcm L:Front L
    Pcm L:Phones L
    Pcm L:Rear L
    Pcm R:Front R
    Pcm R:Phones R
    Pcm R:Rear R
    Pcm1 L:Rear L
    Pcm1 R:Rear R
    fx15:Digital L
    fx15:Digital R
    Analog L:Phones L
    Analog L:Rear L
    Analog L:ADC Rec L
    Analog R:Phones R
    Analog R:Rear R
    Analog R:ADC Rec R
    CD-Spdif L:Front L
    CD-Spdif L:Rear L
    CD-Spdif R:Front R
    CD-Spdif R:Rear R

What changes do I need to make, to get what I want?

TIA,

-
Keith