up2date/yum and bittorrent

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sat Dec 20 03:04:43 UTC 2003

Rob Park wrote:
> Having each package being it's own torrent, for only about a few MBs,
> just wouldn't really provide much benefit, unless there were hundreds of
> people downloading at once.

What I meant to say here is that if you've got a torrent for a file
that's only a couple of MBs big, it will be hard to have a lot of
downloaders on the torrent at once; everybody will connect and finish
the download very quickly. The result of this is that there will only be
one or two downloaders at a time, and bittorrent is actually less
efficient in the case of "1 seed, 1 leech" than a standard FTP/HTTP
download or whatever yum currently uses to get it's files.