problem with spanish characters and apache

Aurelio Sánchez fae7901 at terra.es
Sat Dec 20 19:50:30 UTC 2003

El dom, 07-12-2003 a las 18:30, Arturo Duran escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Where can the correct locale be installed for the
> whole system.
>
> My mail recipients in Spain complain about accents and
> certain characters not being displayed correctly when
> I use Evolution.

Part One:

Your /etc/sysconfig/i18n. Mine is:

[uno at fae7901 uno]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="es_ES.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="es_ES.UTF-8:es_ES:es"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

That arranges all locale to UTF-8, spanish, and seems to work well on my
two systems. In fact, in Red Hat Linux 8 that didn't work well.

Part Two:

Set evolution to use as default character code ISO-8859-15. Some windows
machines and Windows mail user agents (i.e. Outlook Express 5.5) don't
translate well the UTF-8. Microsoft says yes, but do not believe
it.....:-)

But I have nowdays some minor trouble accesing vfat partitions. More
precisely, accesing Windows Millenium partition in this machine. I don't
know why, but filenames which have accents and other special characters
(ñ, ç,) are shown in konqueror replacing that characters with
'unrecognized symbol' and they are not usable (you can't rename, copy or
move, even access to that files). You may access to a console and rename
(using 'mv') but invoking only the first part of extrange filename, up
to the special character.

Not to be very worried about it, but seems it could be better, or
perhaps it is a bug from Windows?...:-) Red Hat Linux 6.1, 6.2, 7.1 and
7.3, all installed on the machines (6.1 with Win98) and all without
UTF-8, didn't complained about that.
--
Saludos,

Aurelio Sánchez
fae7901 circling terra Spain
fae7901 circling yahoo Spain

Registered Linux User # 272846
GNU Privacy Guard Public Key available at pgp.rediris.es

Created by Ximian Evolution 1.4.5 running on Fedora Core 1