copying from cd-rom with u+w permissions

Bruce W. Bigby bbigby at rochester.rr.com
Sat Dec 20 14:08:57 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 08:31, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I make copying files from cd-rom to hdd change permissions to
> u+w (writable by user) instead of read-only?
> I'm usually using Nautilus for that, so a natilus-only solution would be
> good too.
>
> Thanks

I don't believe that I've heard of such an option.  After the files
reach the disk, you are going to have to modify the permissions of the
files in the directory.  Nautilus rightfully presumes that if the source
files are read-only, then the new files should also be read-only.

You may want to create a Nautilus Script that when you drag a directory
or file over it, the script changes the permissions of the file or the
directory, and every file that lives under it, to writable.

The easy command-line way to do this is as follows:

cd <directory>
chmod u+w *

I hope that this helps.
--