Is the Savage video driver free software?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Dec 20 23:02:28 UTC 2003

Alexandre Strube wrote:
> All of this is nice... Ati, Nvidia, ok. But there's one manufacturer
> which RELEASED an open-source driver and no one cared about: it's via/s3
> and their savage ddr chips.

I'd like to learn more about the terms under which their drivers are
available.  If they qualify as free software I will not hesitate to
recommend them.  Thanks for providing information about this.  If you have
any URLs to share about where I can find the exact software you're referring
to, I'd appreciate it.

> The answer to my inquiries about porting it to a recent linux distro on
> linux-video and redhat-xfree86 was not only ignored, but something like
> "no one is interested on it - if you want it, go and port it for
> yourself". I would, if I knew how.

Then it's time to learn more about computer software programming.  The same
difficulty would affect you if you want to add a new room on a house, change
a muffler on a car, or cook French onion soup.  Before you can do big jobs
you have to learn how.  And after you become more skilled, your idea of what
is a big job will change. But at least you have the freedom to change the
program.