problems running bash scripts...

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at
Sun Dec 21 04:16:32 UTC 2003

John M. Pantone wrote:

> I have had this same trouble too for quite some time - even back in
> RH9. I find it on a disk I mount with this in fstab:
> /otshare nfs noauto,exec,user,rw 0 0
> Mounts fine, but can't ./shellscript can only bash shellscript
Believe it or not, the problem here is that your filesystem is being
mounted 'noexec'.

man mount says:
user   ...This  option  implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
(unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the option line

Place 'exec' _after_ 'user' and it will work.  BTW - you will see in the
mount man page that 'users' has the same effect, so the same order is
necessary for that as well.

   "Spend less!  Do more!  Go Open Source..." --
   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021