A7N8X-E Deluxe experiences? or other motherboard recommendations?

Paul Penrod ppenrod at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 21 05:04:14 UTC 2003

I have a desktop running an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with the Nforce 2. Here is my
experience with a slightly older motherboard than the one you are considering:

Under RH9, I had NO SATA support for the SIL3112A prior to kernel 2.4.22.
Under Fedora, it found it just fine and I have a pair of Maxtor 250GB SATA
drives
running in software RAID 0 configuration for speed. Currently, hdparm reports
about 54 MB/sec for the array, which is quite tolerable. Through the cache
testing I'm showing about 1600 MB/sec for the small stuff. The 8MB cache
on the drives skew the testing but make for some nice numbers... :-)

I did not have a problem booting the system under either the 2115 or 2129
kernels.

If you want NTFS support (read only) then you need to get the compiled drivers
from NTFS.org, as RedHat still does not provide anything to make this work.
Wish they would as I still have media with NTFS partitions I have to keep for a
client and some of the video work I do 'cause Pinnacle cant figure out how to
move their software onto a *real* operating system.

I did have a bit of a bugger with the dual LAN hardware, but Fedora does
find at least
one of the two LAN ports without any configuration. I suspect with the
newer Nforce2
chipset you will have fewer problems on that end.

I like the ATI 8500 based card in the system. Xfree86 finds it and it runs
fast.

I'm running with 1.5GB or DDR 333 memory and it works without a hitch. I
can use fast
CAS timings and get some good performance out of it.

Hope that helps,

...Paul

At 09:39 PM 12/17/2003, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>List,
>
>I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my home server from RH 9 to FC 1
>sometime before April.  I figure that that may be a good time to also
>upgrade from my 866MHz Pentium III as well. :)
>
>I've been thinking of getting an AMD Athlon 2600+ 333MHz FSB, and an ASUS
>A7N8X-E Deluxe mother board.
>(http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe&langs=09)  I've seen
>some potential issues on this list about the nforce2 chipset, so I was
>curious about any positive or negative experiences anybody might have had
>with this mother board.
>
>If somebody has another recommendation for a motherboard/cpu combo, I'd be
>interested in that as well.  Basically, I'm trying to get a fast motherboard
>and CPU with about 512Meg of RAM for about $250 US.  I'm only interested
>in good, name brand motherboards and RAM, I've had bad experiences with
>cheap ECS crap and don't care to repeat the experience.
>
>The A7N8X-E Deluxe looks like it can handle two DDR 400 256 for that
>doubled speed thing, which sounds good to me.  I don't really care too
>much about AGP8x or  anything, since it'll be a server, not a desktop game
>machine.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ben
>

>--

Managing good programmers/engineers is tantamount to herding cats...