New Install

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Sun Dec 21 05:43:48 UTC 2003

I've recently switched over my laptop from SuSE 9.0 to Fedora Core 1.  So
far I like what I see.

Unfortunately for me, there are a few things that are different in the
distributions that have me stumped.  I'm hoping someone out there can lend
me a pointer or two...

1>  Assign the machine name.  With SuSE, I could either change a setting
in YaST or edit /etc/HOSTNAME to set the machine name from "localhost" to
"serenity".  (Or anything else I wanted...)  This file doesn't appear to
exist with Fedora.  How do I set it?

2>  Keyboard layout.  I'm not going to bother with the SuSE method.  What
I'm trying to do is to be able to change keyboards from a US English
keyboard layout to a Russian (Cyrillic) keyboard layout.  I've discovered
by right clicking on the bottom task bar in Gnome, I've been able to add a
"kayboard layout" tool, and even set [Alt-Right Shift] to switch between
the virtual keyboards.  Unfortunately, this doesn't actually change the
keyboard layout.  I'm still getting letters from the English alphabet.

2a>  Is there a way of setting up a phonetic Cyrillic keyboard?

3>  I'm trying to get the alsa drivers installed, and some of the
instructions involve using "modinfo" and "modprobe".  Fedora doesn't
appear to have these commands...  (SuSE did.)  Any suggestions as to where
to go from here?  (I"m trying to get sound working on a Fujitsu Lifebook
L-470.)  I'm also getting some build errors, but I'm going to try
redownloading the file just in case it was corrupted...  I also don't have
a way of copying and pasting the error, so that part I'll leave for now.

So, any suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Krikket