yum hangs with "damaged header"?

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Dec 23 21:22:36 UTC 2003

When I try to run yum update, I get an error that tells me I have a
damaged header in the kernel-source header. Since I'm wanting to skip
updates related to the kernel anyways, is there a to either fix the yum
update kernel-source header, or get yum to skip on the kernel related
updates?

I'd use up2date, but there always seems to be some additional packages
to update that yum finds which up2date doesn't.

Here is the relevant output from yum. What you see on the last line is
symptomatic of the hang. It doesn't always hang at the same "%", but it
always hangs on that file:

# yum update
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Stable)
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Testing)
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Unstable)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Damaged Header
/var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr
getting
/var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr
kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.  12% |===                      |  48 kB
00:20 ETA

--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>