Help I hosed my boot loader Fedora Core will not boot.

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Wed Dec 24 00:16:06 UTC 2003

Caleb Rodriguez wrote:

> I was messing around and tried to installyet another distro (Mandrake
> 9.2) i did the defaults. I already had xp dual booted with Fedora Core
> 1 working perfectly. I decided to experiment and install another
> distro since I could not get Xandros to install.  Anyway here is the
> story. I went to install Mandrake 9.2 and all seemed to go well. When
> I rebooted grub only gave me the options for mandrake and windoze. I
> booted into windoze to remove the mandrake partitions and cleared my
> restore.
> My system only boots in the other OS and I want to go back and be able
> to boot from either one. The partitions for Fedora Core 1 are still
> intact. I just need to know what to do besides reinstall. I do not
> wish to lose any of my data.
>
> Help please..
> Thanks

Having been in a similar situation (can only boot Windows on a
Windows/RH Linux machine)  I used the RH install CD and did an "upgrade"
install and told it to upgrade the boot installer (grub in my case).  It
did that, determined that no updates were required and all was fine on
reboot.

Other than than you can boot the CD in recover (or is it repair? --
there is some help when you boot the CD) mode and use that to fix the
boot parms.

Kind regards,

Mike