rename one file

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Dec 24 15:03:08 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Rodrigo Malara wrote:

> I experienced this problem too and it appears to be related to the
> filesystem type, because it only happened to vfat filesystems.
> I remember that a solution was related to setting the proper option when
> mounting the filesystem...

vfat does not understand the consept of upper and lower case. IOW:
file.extension and file.ExTeNsIoN are the same thing on vfat.

On all *nix filesystems that I am aware of the above example would be treated
as different files.

Something like this:
(tigger pts3) $ touch foo.bar
(tigger pts3) $ ll foo*
-rw-rw-r--    1 tdiehl   tdiehl          0 Dec 24 10:00 foo.bar
(tigger pts3) $ cp foo.bar fOo.BaR
(tigger pts3) $ ll f*
-rw-rw-r--    1 tdiehl   tdiehl          0 Dec 24 10:00 fOo.BaR
-rw-rw-r--    1 tdiehl   tdiehl          0 Dec 24 10:00 foo.bar
(tigger pts3) $ mv foo.bar foo.BAR
(tigger pts3) $ ll f*