Better POP daemon?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Dec 24 20:14:43 UTC 2003

Steven Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:19:08 -0800, you wrote:
>

>>Steven Stern wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:16:44 +0100, you wrote:
>>>

>>You could still be having DNS issues...especially if you are using
>>ident.  Check the xinetd.d POP startup stuff (typically
>>/etc/xinetd.d/ipop3) and see if you have something like
>>
>>	log_on_* += HOST
>>
>>If so, delete the HOST bit or comment out the line(s).  That causes a
>>reverse DNS lookup to be done for the client so the client FQDN can
>>be logged.
>

> I changed it to below, and it seems faster.
>
> service pop3
> {
>         disable = no
>         socket_type             = stream
>         wait                    = no
>         user                    = root
>         server                  = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
> #       log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
>         logon_success   += DURATION

That should read "log_on_success += DURATION".  "logon_success" is not
a recognized option.

>         log_on_failure  += HOST
> }

Unless you implement reverse DNS, use reverse DNS, or put all of the
possible reverse lookups in your /etc/hosts file, then I'd remove all
references to the "HOST" parameter since any reverse DNS lookup will
fail and have to time out.  Also check the other files in /etc/xinetd.d
to see if there are any other references to the HOST parameter (such
as in "imap").
-         Microsoft Windows:  Proof that P.T. Barnum was right       -