send mail hangs on boot up

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Dec 27 00:41:43 UTC 2003

Am Sa, den 27.12.2003 schrieb Steven Rosen um 01:17:
> Philippe Rigaux wrote:
>
> >It probably can't resolve the hostname, add an entry in your /etc/hosts
> >file.
> >
> >Phil
> >
> >Le ven 26/12/2003 à 23:50, Steven Rosen a écrit :
> >

> >>I've tried it w/ 3 different kernels but every time I boot up each of
> >>the sendmail and sm-client starting services hangs for about 50 seconds
> >>before giving the OK.  Any ideas as to why this happens?
> >>

> I don't understand what entry I could add.?? I have a small home office
> network with 2 windows and one linux machine. All the hosts are listed.
>

> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 192.168.1.103   eva
> 192.168.1.100   steve
> 192.168.1.101   linux
> /etc/hosts (END)
>

> What am I missing?

Your /etc/hosts file does not contain fully qualified domain names
(FQDN). A line has to look like

192.168.1.101	host.domain.tld		host

Be sure you have in /etc/sysconfig/network a FQDN as hostname
corresponding to the entry in /etc/hosts.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999