New Fedora Install

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Sat Dec 27 06:46:08 UTC 2003

Follow-up to myself, to add clarifty of remaining questions, and an answer
or two...

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Krikket wrote:

> I've been happy enough with the Fedora install on my laptop, that I went
> ahead and installed it on my desktop, overwriting SuSE.
>
> Only I made a goof, and the system isn't recognizing everything.
>
> 1>  I mistakenly told it to only install only on /hda.  So right now /hdb
> is sitting vacant, and pretty much inaccessable.  Is there some
> partitioning/formatting tool out there that I can use to
> reformat/partition and then mount the harddrive?

Still searching for this one...

> 2>  I have a CD-RW/DVD combo drive in my system.  As far as I can tell,
> Fedora is only recognizing it as a CD-ROM drive.  How can I hit the OS
> over the head with a clue-bat, to get full functionality out of my system?

The answer was to type "ln -s /dev/dvd /dev/scd0"  (Or was it the other
way around?)

> 3>  Xine appears to be unable to produce a smooth picture when playing
> VCDs.  (I obviously haven't gotten DVDs going yet.)  From SuSE I seem to
> remember having to shut off DMA mode, but I'll be damned if I know how to
> do it with Fedora.  Suggestions?

DVDs are working, along with VCDs -- as long as I don't put xine in
full-screen mode.  Then the system can no longer keep up, and the entire
thing hoarks.  The only way out is to switch to the console, log in again,
and kill the xine process.

I still need some help in fixing this one.  Suggestions?

Thanks!

Krikket