Xemacs background color

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Dec 27 21:49:52 UTC 2003

On or about 2003-12-27 11:37, Ray Curtis whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>    fw> On or about 2003-12-26 21:37, Tom Mitchell whipped out a trusty #2
>    fw> pencil and scribbled:
>
>    >> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Ray Curtis wrote:
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>>>>>>> "ms" == Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> writes:
>    >>>>>>>>
>    >>>>>>>>
>    ms> In earlier releases of RHL, the background color of an Xemacs window was
>    ms> light grey.  In FC1, the window background is white.  I'd like to reset
>    ms> that color, but I can't figure out what xemacs option or X resource to set
>    ms> to accomplish this.  Does anyone out there know?
>    >>>
>    ms> Thanks.
>    >>>
>    >>> All these features should be able to set from the menus, under
>    >>> Options / Edit Faces / Default
>    >>>
>    >>> or in .Xdefaults add:
>    >>>
>    >>> xemacs*Background: blue
>    >>>
>    >>>
>    >>
>    >> or in  ~/.emacs/custom.el
>    >> (custom-set-faces
>    >> '(default ((t (:background "grey" :size "16pt" :family "Courier"))) t))
>    >>
>    >> If grey/gray is not to your liking any color named in
>    >> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt should be possible.
>    >>
>    >> There is an interface for editing this stuff as well
>    >> look under options-->customize emacs
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>
>    >>
>    fw> Works great!  On a related subject, do you know how to specify the size
>    fw> of the initial window?  Mine opens with a window just about right in
>    fw> width, but about 50% taller than the screen, so the first thing I always
>    fw> have to do is re-size the top down about half-screen, then move the
>    fw> title bar back up so I can see the bottom edge of the window.  Can't
>    fw> seem to find this in the info faq, maybe I don't know what to search for.
>
>Sure, from command line:
>
>emacs -geometry 126x52+42+33
>Use something like 'xwininfo' to find your geometry settings you like.
>
>Or
>1: In .Xdefaults add -    emacs*geometry:	126x52+42+33
>2: create a icon on your desktop to do the same thing.
>3: create an alias

Thanks for the help!  Putting it on the command line works great;
putting it in .Xdefaults doesn't do anything (even after xrdb -load
.Xdefaults).  Making an alias seems like the easiest way out for now.

--
Fritz Whittington
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. (Mahatma Gandhi)