Use shadow like password with NIS on Fedora

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Dec 27 22:39:06 UTC 2003

Qi,

 From my experience with NIS authentication , what you want is
impossible. In the university where I work , we're slowly preparing the
machines to use ldap authentication , as a security measure. We've had
enough problems with NIS , as any user can ypcat passwd and get all
passwords and maybe try to crack them. For this reason , we have a
strict policy regarding passwords and we try to crack weak passwords weekly.
If you want security (at the expense of taking longer to configure the
server) , I suggest you to use ldap. Fedora has a excelent support to
ldap auth configuration (using redhat-config-authentication).

Pedro Macedo