gnome pilot

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Sun Dec 28 17:30:42 UTC 2003

nelson high <hoppy72 at charter.net> said:

> Im somewhat of a novice with linux, but love it, especially Fedora. My
> children bought me a palm pilot  and I want to use it with Evolution
> on Fedora.  My problem is that the disc that came with it says I can
> use either MAC or Windows.  Does anyone know if and how I can use it
> with my Fedora in Evolution.  I tried to go in and run the gnome pilot
> setting in Evolution, but when I hotsync, nothing happens.  I would
> appreciate any help as I want to use my palm pilot, but not bad enough
> to put windows back on my box.   Thanx.

What type of Palm did you get? Is it using a Serial or USB connection?
The first thing to know is what port you are using. Unfortunately I
only have an old Palm Vx, which uses a Serial connection. First thing
you have to do is test to see if you are actually connecting to the
correct port. Open up a terminal and type:

pilot-xfer -L /dev/ttyS0

replace /dev/ttyS0 with your actual port. For Serial ports, the first
is /dev/ttyS0, the second /dev/ttyS1, the third /dev/ttyS2, etc. For
USB, I am not really sure about this, but the first is /dev/ttyUSB0,
second /dev/ttyUSB1, third is /dev/ttyUSB2.

Now, when you do the command-line thing, you'll see that you have to
press the HotSync button. You'll know you have the correct port when
you see a listing of stuff on your Palm go by quickly (you'll even
hear the HotSync beeps). So you should know by now which port you
need. I am assuming you are using Gnome. Go to Menu --> Preferences
--> More Preferences --> PalmOS Devices. Up pops a dialog box. Click
Next. See the field that says "Port"? Type the actual port there (ex.
/dev/ttyS0). Select which type of port it is (USB, Serial, etc.). The
next screen is pretty obvious. Then it'll try to connect once to get
your Palm's name and number. After that, unfortunately I'm a little
sleepy, but you get to give your Palm a name, and then get to
configure "conduits". These are the programs that will sync with
Evolution.

Of note, there is no Memo app in Evolution, which sucks. If you want
to view memos, I suggest you try J-Pilot. It should come with the
Fedora CDs, if not, I think the site is www.j-pilot.org. Generally,
the only thing you need is the port you're connecting with for
J-Pilot's settings.

I'm gonna sleep right now.

dex