How to make a SPEC file?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 28 23:08:10 UTC 2003

My idea of how is:

Do this all on a system you don't mind corrupting with broken builds.

take any *src.rpm file, preferably one that is pretty close to the
application you wish to build. Install the *src.rpm.

In /usr/src/redhat/SPECS you will find the *.spec file you just
installed. Copy it to another filename and modify it to your preferences.

The files you want to build with (other than the SPEC) should be in the
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory.

Now execute

rpmbuild -bb [yourfilename].spec

If all goes well, the application should actually build. And if that
works, it should then actually package: you should find the actual
binary rpm sitting prettily in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/[arch] for example
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

It helps to consult the most recent edition of of a book on RPM
packaging. I have the original edition of Maximum RPM by Edward C. Bailey.

I've done a little of this but I'm not a skilled RPM packager. I'm still
fuzzy on many pieces and need to improve my knowledge of the rpm build
process, rpm variables like RPM_OPT_FLAGS, C programming, C++
programming, and shell scripting.

Taking pains to make sure the dependencies for your applications are
installed first should spare you a lot of misery later. If your
application D won't compile without libraries from applications A, B,
and C, then make sure you install A, B, and C first before running rpmbuild.

Expect to have a whole rainbow of other errors if you are just starting
out with Unix/Linux/shell programming. Patience and persistence helps a
lot.

Bob