Multiple fedora instances

ckotting at wideopenwest.com ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 29 11:48:19 UTC 2003

I'm a relative newbie, but here's what I did that seemed to
work thus far (using two IDE drives):

Start with two hard drives installed as master/slave:
 - Install FC1 normally, but:
     adjust the partitioning so nothing is on the slave
(this
     should be hdb and I'll assume it is for the rest of the
     discussion) but free space.
 - Remove the master (hda) and install the previous slave
(hdb)
   as master.  Reboot and adjust the CMOS settings.
 - Install FC1 (here you could exclude the bootloader unless
   you think you might want to swap hdb and hdb at some
point)
 - Renstall the two HDs as master/slave. Reboot and adjust
the
   CMOS settings again.
    The initial master is back to being master, the initial
    slave is back to being slave.  (Don't forget the change
the
    jumper on hdb!)
 - Reboot and edit grub.conf to recognize the installation
on
   the 2nd drive (which should be /dev/hdb)

If you want the two installations to be able ot read and
write to each other, it's a simple bit of editing
/etc/fstab.

There's probably a better/easier way, but thus far, this
seems to be working.

Chris K.