Problem: Dlink 802.11b card *just works* too good. -- was: Re: 802.11b wireless card

John sephtin at techgodz.com
Mon Dec 29 15:14:32 UTC 2003

Shannon --jj Behrens wrote:
> What is a good 802.11b PCMCIA card or USB device that I can find at
> Fry's or Best Buy?  I'm looking for one that will *just work* with no
> additional fancy drivers than the ones included with Fedora Core 1.

I thought it funny that someone was looking for a card that "just
works"... and I'm looking for configuration options to correct a problem
with my card that "just works" so well, that it automatically detects my
neighbor's access point every time I boot my laptop.

Here's my problem...
Clean install of Fedora Core 1 on laptop, with a dlink 802.11b wifi
card. My access point doesn't broadcast it's ssid and uses wep.
Card works, and when I run a script that I've written to change the
essid, wep key, and ap to my settings, it connects every time.

However, I live in an apartment building, and have a neighbor who has
their access point wide open.  So every time I boot, it automatically
connects me to his AP.  (If I leave it set to DHCP, the card works fine
on his network too.. :P

Here's what I'm looking for.  Is there a config/utility that can handle
going back and forth between automatic settings for detecting an AP
automatically (example: my neighbors AP), Work (ap config for work), and
Home (my ap sett's)?  My iBook has "Profiles" (called locations) for
networking, as does Windohz driver for the dlink card.  Is there such a
thing written for Fedora?  (I believe I read something about this
working in Mandrake (?)).

Thanks,
John