Digital Cameras?

John sephtin at techgodz.com
Tue Dec 30 05:05:53 UTC 2003

Rob Park wrote:

> Hey everybody.
>
> I'm looking to buy a digital camera, but I want to make sure I can get
> one that is compatible with linux (specifically, it'd be nice if
> fedora had good support for it).
>
> Basically I'm looking at getting a camera that uses the Secure Digital
> (SD) cards, and a separate SD card reader. I hear SanDisk is a good
> brand for SD card readers (they show up as USB mass storage and work
> nicely, from what I hear).
>
> Is there anything I should watch out for? Any brands to avoid?
>
> Basically, I just want one that I can use with a minimum of hassle.

Rob-
For Christmas, my girlfriend received a kodak camera.  I did a lot of
looking around before I got it for her.  She uses it on Gentoo Linux
using Digikam (similar to gtkam, which also works great).  I have see it
work (nearly plug and play) on Mandrake as well, I'm sure it will work
on Fedora.  (Fedora will replace Gentoo on her machine next weekend, I
am confident that it will work with Fedora as well.
This works with USB...

Here are two great how-to's for Kodak on Linux  (USB):
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Kodak-Digitalcam-HOWTO/index.shtml
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Kodak-Digitalcam-HOWTO.html

Hope you find one that works meets your needs.  Just wanted to let you
know that we've been very happy with the kodak 6330 (mid priced, with
decent features).. was about 200.
*shrug*  HTH.
John