MySQL 4 or Higher

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 30 10:19:13 UTC 2003

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 15:36, Tom Diehl wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Richard Shade wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone know when mysql 4.0+ will be added to fedora?  what I can do
>>>to help get this added as part of the product?
>>>

>>Get the mysql people to change the license. This has been discussed at great
>>lengths. Please check the archives for details.
>>

>Other options include:
>  a) getting the people whose projects don't use a GPL compatible
>license to change the license into a GPL compatible one

This would not be easy..

>  b) don't build the conflicting modules (like the php mysql, module for
>instance).

This would be silly since probably 95% of MySQL's use is in conjunction
with PHP..

>This would make some people sad (namely those specific module
>maintainers), but holding on to MySQL 3.x seems to make more people sad,
>from what I've been reading here.

I am hoping the MySQL come up with a solution.. Some other projects that
I use are already migrating to Postgresql because of the new MySQL
licencing problems.. If that trend catches on MySQL will lose its hold
on the database market very quickly..

I guess MySQL will not notice the problem until its too late.. lets hope
they haven't lost contact with the community..

later..