Kudzu and umask in fstab

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 30 23:32:24 UTC 2003

Fabio Rosciano wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:13:19 -0500
> timothy.larsen at kodak.com wrote:
>

>>What do the kudzu and umask option do in fstab.
>

> umask allows all users to read-write in windows partitions. It's like permissions opposite; in a certain way umask=000 is chmod=777.
>
> Kudzu is a service (?) that scans for new hardware. When you install something new or remove hardware from your machine you should run Kudzu to get it configured.
> But I cannot figure out for what is it there in /etc/fstab.

It's there primarily for removable devices (USB, firewire, etc.).  If
it has "kudzu" in the options and kudzu sees it during boot, then the
"mount -a" will mount it.  If kudzu doesn't see it (if it's not plugged
in), then "mount -a" won't mount it and won't complain that it's not
there.
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -