fsck - still can't fix boot failure

Alex White prata at ghostlike.homelinux.org
Wed Dec 31 04:47:38 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:29:24 -0800 Barry Yu <barryyupuilee at netscape.net>
typed with great determination:

>>The system displayed version of fsck 1.34, and a WARNING !!! Running
>>this may cause damage etc, Do you want to continue? and I enter Y

Don't do that. That's unsafe. First off, you don't want to use -A when
you're running fsck with a filesystem (such as /dev/hda4) explicitly
declared. You can just run it as fsck -A and it will step through. Or
you can call one at a time fsck /dev/hda"insert partition" without
quotes and the number of the partition in question.

You should be first doing a umount /dev/hda4 if you want to fsck it.
Otherwise you never know what kind of nasty things may or may not happen
to the partition. And if these are ext3 partitions wouldn't you want to
run ext3.fsck? I don't know if calling fsck will automatically assume
that it's an ext3 filesystem and work the journal over too. I'm not well
versed on it.

Just my two cents. This may or may not be of any real value to you. My
apologies if not.

Alex