Fedora stability

Mark Haney mark.haney at doctordirectory.com
Wed Dec 31 15:58:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:38:46 -0500 (EST), Krikket <krikket at gothpoodle.com>
wrote:

> I can't compare to RH9, but I *can* compare it to SuSE 9.0
>
> Don't switch to SuSE.  Trust me on this one.  Baaad juju.  After seing
> what was available, I decided to go with SuSE for my first real exposure
> to Linux in 6+ years.  (And I had no experience with a Linux GUI at that
> point.)

It wasn't more of a SWITCH than it was just trying to determine if it was
a good 'average user' fit since Suse does allow repartitioning of drives
on the fly.  Other than that, I didn't do much with it.

> If you needs are met 100% by what's available on the distro CDs, then
> SuSE
> could work for you.  But adding anything else?  Damn near impossible.
> There are some things I *couldn't* get installed under SuSE, that were a
> breeze with Fedora.  I'm not the only one wih those problems either.
>
> On the positive side, there are more GUI controls for things.  So if
> that's what you're looking for, then maybe it's for you.

Nah GUI controls just get in the way. If I wanted more of those I'd stay
with Windows. :)

> Also you can *forget* right now about editing files by hand and expecting
> them to stay that way, and work correctly.  The SuSE likes to rewrite
> stuff on you without warning.

Without warning? Not good.  But then I didn't do any hand editing in
Suse.

> In short, the problems I had with SuSE 9.0 were great enough that I
> abandoned it, even though I paid the $80 for the Professional version.
>
> Using Fedora, I've had a *lot* fewer problems.
>
> Krikket

Thanks for your honest opinion on that.  I think I'll stick with RH.