Delayed due to 'Respin'?

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Mon Nov 3 16:38:04 UTC 2003

> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:47:03AM -0800, Jeremy wrote:
>> Hey, I'm new to this list.  I was excited about downloading Fedora Core
>> 1
>> today, only to find out that it was delayed due to 'Respin'?  What does
>> that
>> mean?  I looked 'respin' up in the dictionary, but didn't fidn anything
>> :p
>
> It means that we found an issue which was serious enough to prevent us
> from
> shipping, therefore we are going to have to fix the issue then create new
> trees and test to verify that the new trees are sane.  This whole process
> is referred to as "spinning a release."
>
> - jkt
> --
> --*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*
> Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat,
> Inc.

This is the best message I've seen on this list since the group was
started.  There has been a ton of speculation, guesses, upset people...and
now this note.

Jay, your note indicates to me that RH still cares.  A Fedora release is
being delayed because it isn't ready.  Further, you are doing QA testing
and not just tossing the release to the public.

I believe this is a real sign to those whose faith may have been shaken
and perhaps feel that RedHat might be abandoning the flock!

Gerry