Several questions

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Mon Nov 3 20:25:59 UTC 2003

Kai Thomsen wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:31:43 -0500, Wade Hampton wrote
> a strangely formatted posting:
>

>>2.  Will Fedora finally fix the RPM lockup problem?  With RH 8 and 9,
>>sometimes RPM will just seem to hang and never return.  I occasionally
>>have to kill -9 the rpm process then rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*.  I NEVER
>>had problems like this with RH 7 and the older RPM (which also seemed
>>much faster).
>

> On my RHL 9 machine, I haven't had those problems since upgrading to the
> new version available on <ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/test-4.2/>.

I still have this problem once in a while with RPM 4.2, release 0.69.  A serious
problem when you count on RPM to update patches automatically from a cronjob
every night on hundreds of hosts.  If some hosts get their RPM database
screwed...  you get the idea.

Unfortunatly, I never got the problem reproduced systematically, thus I never
opened a bug report on this.

Best regards,
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.         Open source: