Several questions

Wade Hampton wade.hampton at nsc1.net
Mon Nov 3 23:08:18 UTC 2003

Satish Balay wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Ben Russo wrote:
>

>>Wade Hampton wrote:
>>

>>>I have several questions for the list:
>>>
>>>1.  How do I get gdm on RH 9 to stop listening on port 6000 (e.g., for
>>>my laptop)
>>>      /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
>>>

>>If GDM was listening for remote connections it would be on port 177, but
>>since
>>by default it doesn't do that, this isn't your issue.
>>
>>Port 6000 is (by default) the port that the first X display will listen
>>to for incomming
>>connections.
>>

>BTW, in fedrora beta/rawhide/core1 X tcp listen is disabled by
>default.  If need - it can be enabled by adding 'DisallowTCP=false' to
>/etc/gdm.conf.

On RH 8, I added DisallowTCP=true to the gdm.conf file and it worked.
I have tried in my gdm.conf file [security] section as described in
http://www.jirka.org/gdm-documentation/x227.html

When I restart gdm or when I reboot, port 6000 is still open (nmap -s T
<ip address>).

I hope it is fixed in Fedora (of course, I hope the docs also describe
how to open it
back up for those that don't know this option).

Can I use the fedora gdm package on RH 9?

Thanks,
--
Wade Hampton