Redhat to Fedora - up2date/RHN

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 13:44:16 UTC 2003

You probably intend to do what I am adding, but just to be complete:

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 02:29, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:52:57PM -0600, Timothy John Giese wrote:
> > I'm about to make the switch from rh9 to fedora too.
> > I can't tell you what I've done (since I haven't done it), but
> > I can tell you what I plan on doing in a "monkey trainable"-way.
>

> I took the liberty of adding a vital step that's missing in your list:
>
> > 1. I will download the iso images and burn them to CDs

	(before burning, check the md5sum of each iso image)

> 1a. I will make a backup of all important personal and configuration
>     data.
>
> > 2. I will reboot the computer with CD 1 in the drive.

	(before installation, run the media check offered on each CD)

> > 3. I will click "next" at all prompts except for the screen that
> > asks me if I want to update my current operating system
> > (which it should recognize as RH9) or do a fresh install of
> > Fedora.  At that particular prompt, I will select "Upgrade"
> > and THEN press "next".
> > 4. I will press "next" for all prompts after that point.

The system should automatically be configured so that up2date has
channels defined from which you can add packages and receive updates
from Fedora repositories.

This should all work just fine.

Gerry