hoax or bad taste joke by Redhat's CEO?

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 18:52:22 UTC 2003

LoBue, Mark wrote:

>I look forward to being educated where I am wrong.
>
>"internet".  The PC my kids use would be Linux except for 2 things,
>zoogdisney.com and cartoonnetwork.com.  Both of these require some sort of
>Macromedia product that I just can't get working in any browser I've tried
>(I'm using RH 9, by the way).

Flash player for Linux (native port), packaged (this is what you need to
view the websites):
http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/macromedia/site_ucsc.html

Someone even reviewed the Flash development software on Linux too:
http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?id=27

>"checkbook".  Is there any software that will directly connect to my bank's
>website and download transactions the way Quicken does?  How about the
>American Express and Discover sites?  Quicken does that.

Two checkbook solutions:
http://www.gnucash.org/

 From GnuCash's website: "Intuit^® Quicken^® QIF files can be imported,
and are automatically merged to eliminate duplicate transactions."

http://www.moneydance.com/  (requires Java)

 From Moneydance's website: "With Moneydance you can automatically
synchronize your records with transactions downloaded from your bank."

So GnuCash doesn't directly support it, but if your bank allows you to
download a QIF file, then it should work.  Moneydance, however, seems to
work with banks just fine.

GnuCash is free.  Moneydance costs money (but so does Quicken).

Garrett