Newbie Questions

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Nov 6 20:19:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:58:57PM -0500, Alexander Grekhov wrote:
> > 2) Hardware specs.  To be honest, I was a little stunned by the hardware
> > requirements to run Fedora (memory / processor / hard drive space).
> > Obviously I can't pick up an old P166 at a swap meet and expect it to
> > work.  What are the reasonable specs for a PC to run Linux?  Or is there
> > a URL with this info?
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

Before upgrading any important work or personal machines, I gave FC1 a
try on an old PII 350MHz with only 64 MB memory. It works, including
graphical install, graphical boot and of course the gnome desktop. So
even when your machine is quite a bit below the listed recommendations
or minimums, running FC1 is possible. Slower due to swapping perhaps,
but working.
Not that I expected anything less based on previous Linux experiences :)

David