Why two GCCs in FC1??

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 23:21:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:02:08PM -0500, Alexander Grekhov wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Gregory Gulik (greg at gulik.org) said:
> >
> >>I didn't see anyone ask this yet so here goes.  Why are there both GCC
> >>3.3.2 and GCC 3.2.3 in Fedora????
> >

> > gcc-3.2.3 is for building the kernel.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but still -- why?

Among other things, GCC 3.3 removed the deprecated multi-line string
literals extension from the preprocessor.
This has been used heavily all over the kernel and although it has
been cleaned in many places in 2.4.x kernels, it is still present
in several places.
2.6.x kernels should build with GCC 3.3.x just fine.

	Jakub