nvidia driver

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Thu Nov 6 22:53:09 UTC 2003

I've been working on an Nvidia driver package together with Andreas
Bierfert on fedora.us, but it hasn't passed QA yet. However, they work
fine for me, and I thought it might be time for the rpms to get wider
testing.

The rpms are available at

http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/

The benefits of these rpms are

1) They do not interfere (move, delete, rename) with any other rpm,
     keeping your rpm db consistent.
2) They can be installed without exiting X (you do need to restart X
    however).
3) They require NO configuration, not even editing the XF86Config file.

The configuration is done by r-c-xfree86 and a small python extension
script for r-c-xfree86. I haven't had time to create a repository yet,
since the webserver is running Solaris and therefore yum isn't
available. However, it would be great if people could try it out and if
it works ok, it could be added to rpm.livna.org for example.

Note:

1) Do NOT install this on top of an NVidia script installation.
2) Make a manual backup of /etc/X11/XF86Config, just to be safe.

Good luck,

Peter Backlund