Why two GCCs in FC1??

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Thu Nov 6 23:57:21 UTC 2003

On Thursday, November 6, 2003, at 06:21  PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:02:08PM -0500, Alexander Grekhov wrote:
>> Bill Nottingham wrote:

>>> gcc-3.2.3 is for building the kernel.
>>
>> Forgive my ignorance, but still -- why?

Because shipping with 3 versions of GCC would have been way too
complex. (This is how Mac OS X 10.2.x and Darwin 6.x shipped [GCC
versions 2.95, 3.1, and GCC 3.3]). Be glad the Fedora maintainers are
keeping things simple.

> Among other things, GCC 3.3 removed the deprecated multi-line string
> literals extension from the preprocessor.
> This has been used heavily all over the kernel and although it has
> been cleaned in many places in 2.4.x kernels, it is still present
> in several places.
> 2.6.x kernels should build with GCC 3.3.x just fine.

The binaries that are built by the different GCC version are all
different and sometimes a program (particularly if it dynamically binds
against other libraries or has a plugin interface) is sensitive to the
GCC version. The kernel is a great example of this. So are the Sun and
IBM java virtual machines.

--
Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the rest is just philosophy."