Newbie Questions

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Nov 7 05:08:30 UTC 2003

At 11:29 11/6/2003, you wrote:
>2) Hardware specs.  To be honest, I was a little stunned by the hardware
>requirements to run Fedora (memory / processor / hard drive space).
>Obviously I can't pick up an old P166 at a swap meet and expect it to work.
>What are the reasonable specs for a PC to run Linux?  Or is there a URL
>with this info?

FYI, I run several home and small office firewalls, from 2 people and 128
Kbps up to and including 1 Mbps links and 100 people behind the firewall.
These boxes run as gateways/routers/firewalls doing masquerading and
Internet access for their network and also serve up
tftp/rarpd/dhcpd/named/ntpd for those networks. One of two of them even run
web/ftp/database servers (on the internal interface only, for testing
purposes).

All of those machines run Red Hat Linux 9 (Shrike) in text mode, and none
is more powerful than a Pentium Classic (non-MMX even) at 166 MHz, with
64MB RAM and a 2GB hard drive. The least powerful is a P/75 with 32MB and
500MB. A GUI desktop of course would take lots more resources, but in text
these things run beautifully.

I will begin moving some of them to Fedora soon.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com