Suspend on a thinkpad R32

Brian Perkins bperkins at netspace.org
Fri Nov 7 18:34:12 UTC 2003

So I tried core 1, which seems to work about as well as RH9 with my
R32.  I' have a few outstanding issues.

1) The APM BIOS stinks with battstat.  Unfortunately polling the battery
(which battsat does once per second) via the APM bios seems to cause
keyboard interrupts to get dropped, which is veryyyyyyyyyy annoying.

2) Whenever my linksys WPC11 PCMCIA card is plugged in and the AC power
is plugged in, the machine refuses to sleep (rather, it almost always
refuses to sleep).  It does suspend if AC is unplugged and the PCMCIA
card is plugged in, but this seems kind of dumb and it crashes about 10%
of the time.

It starts up the fan like it's about to suspend, but the suspend never
actually happens, and it makes a beeping noise.  I've seen the same
behavior with the orinoco_cs driver and the wlan-ng driver with RH9.

3) ACPI used to be very buggy and now very nearly works, but I get the
exact same refusing to suspend behavior, but this time regardless of AC
or PCMCIA cards plugged in or not.  I've tried disabling PCMCIA
altoghther with no luck.

To get around the #2 problem, I tried to have apmd unload the network
driver before it suspends, but it appears it gets stuck even before it
notifies to apmd.

I'm also a bit confused as to why suspend is doing anything at all.  I
looked at acpi-devel and read that the S3 state isn't supposed to work
at all under 2.4.  Is Fedora using some sort of unholy marriage of apm
and acpi when acpi is enabled?

At this point, I'm not sure exactly what to blame. I assume that the APM
BIOS is buggy, and ACPI is really my only hope.

Can anyone suggest a way to track this nonsense down?

Just for kicks I tried 2.6-test9 (kudos to whoever updated modutils to
make this a reasonable endevor)  which behaves differently, and will
suspend and come back (though it appears that the uhci driver is totally
trashed).  Maybe there's some hope there.

Sorry for the sort of rambling post.  I've been playing around with
these issues for a few months now.

--
Brian Perkins