Why two GCCs in FC1??

Alexander Grekhov fedora at winnerauto.com
Fri Nov 7 15:23:43 UTC 2003

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Alexander Grekhov wrote:
>
>>Still I think it would be less confusing and
>>more logical to release 2.4.x-based FC1 with GCC 3.2.x and move on to
>>kernel 2.6.x and GCC 3.3.x in FC2.
>

> That is not far more logical.  That would throw away 6 months of
> compiler technology development and improvements if not more, and
> delay them from being widely used by people for another 3-6
> months or more.  There is no valid good technical reason to do
> that.
>
> Fedora Core is for shipping new technology, and that is what we
> plan to do.

Point taken.

> So, while your frustration is registered and noted, your solution
> is not viable, and is not in line with the Fedora Project's
> stated goals of using new technology.

It's not frustration (yet?), I was just wondering, being unfamiliar with
the development issues that you distro builders are facing.

I am a sysadmin, at the moment I maintain eight production Linux servers
(among other things) running four different versions of RedHat. Having
to work around the quirks of different versions gets old pretty quickly.

I just finished downloading FC1 last night, will play with it this weekend.

> "I can't figure out how to compile my kernel" is not a valid
> reason to throw away perfectly stable working new technology.

As long as it *stable* -- I'm OK with that. I have no problems
rebuilding my OpenBSD servers from source.

Regards,

Alexander