getting Nvidia 2D/3D to work

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sat Nov 8 18:59:32 UTC 2003

Please bear with me as my Linux knowledge is not that great (I work
primarily on Windows and mid-range computers)

I have recently updated my RH9 machine at home to FC1.  The processor is
an Athalon 2000+.  In RH9 I could run various games  Quake 3,  Unreal
Tournament, etc on the Nvidia 5200 FX card.  This was running fine using
the Nvidia installer file (a .run thing).  After installing FC1 I also
re-ran the Nvidia installer with CC=gcc32 exported as described by
others.  All seems fine, X comes up and all but games still don't work
correctly.  After attempting to run a game the screen only shows about
1/4 of the desktop and in some cases is unresponsive.   Q3 doesn't run
and causes the desktop to be unresponsive,  UT runs ok but needs X to be
ended and restarted to get things working again, etc.

So, I figure that I need to uninstall the Nvidia driver for the card and
install something that is more likely to work. This brings me to my two
questions:

How do I remove or un-install the Nvidia drivers?

What is the best replacement, and how do I install it?  In previous
threads I see references to :

http://www2.educ.umu.se/~peter/nvidia/
<http://www2.educ.umu.se/%7Epeter/nvidia/>
and another one that I can't seem to put my mouse on at the moment.

or is there an easier solution?

Kind regards,

Mike