Freshrpms.net concerns.

Konrad Kosmowski K.Kosmowski at wsisiz.edu.pl
Sat Nov 8 19:19:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Kevin Francis wrote:

> I find myself in complete agreement with you. It is important that
> people realise that they cannot mix and match repositories.

By using FreshRPMS (which are build *for* Fedora) and Fedora what do I
exactly mix? - I don't get it. Seriously.

> I want cool apps too, but not at the price I might have to pay.

What is the price of using Fedora and FreshRPMS? Essential packages come
from Fedora, addons come from FreshRPMS, they do *NOT* exactly mix since
none of FreshRPMS packages *replaces* any of Fedora packages - they are
simply *additional* that coexist together. So I still do not get your
point.

Since I live in Europe and own a nifty portable MP3 player I
realy *need* MP3 support - since I own a DVD-ROM and legal DVD movies I
need decoders to watch *my* *legally* *bought* movies on *my* computer
and I do not see anything illegal in using them - thats the point of
FreshRPMS existence (but also a quality, reliable packages) - in my view
Fedora is somewhat disabled, beacouse you CAN'T get MP3 (and so on...)
support in fashion way (from distribution packages) - you must use
another non-fedora-blessed repository. I know this discussion has been
taken so long, but why Debian can do this and Fedora not. Maybe consider
something like splitting repos into non-us, non-free and so on...

--