Anaconda crashes with a "invalid ELF headers" exception

Gerhard Froehlich g-froehlich at gmx.de
Sun Nov 9 14:13:39 UTC 2003

  Hi,
I would like to update my RH 9 with the Fedora Core 1 via NFS.

1. I downloaded the iso images
2. Mounted the iso images somewhere
3. Exported this filesystem via nfs
4. I burnt the boot.iso to a CD-R and rebooted
5. I choose "linux text" at the boot prompt
6. The installation kernel boots as normal
7. Anaconda starts and I choosed my installation language and keyboard map
8. I entered the network setup (ip and co.)
9. Configured NFS server and the mount dir.
10. Anaconda mounts the directory and tries to start something
11. A Python exception happens:

<error>
Traceback (most recent call last)
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 344, in ?
    import dispatch
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
Import Error: /lib/libssl.so.4: invalid ELF headers
</error>

What happens here? Is my iso image corrupt?

My system is a 512MB/AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz.

Greets
- Gerhard