packages - a few questions

Ali-Reza Anghaie ali at packetknife.com
Sun Nov 9 20:00:33 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 14:51, Collins wrote:
> 1. Is there a service anywhere (free or subscription) that makes
> available a broad variety of RPM packages beyond the core offerings
> tailored for Red Hat / fedora?  I'm familiar with rpfmfind.net, but it's
> a super pain in the butt to scan for everything you need and resolve
> dependancies.

There is still fedora.us and freshrpms.net for now... and if you scan
the Fedora archives you'll see people have discussed many options
already and made suggestions. Legacy Fedora for one...

> 2. What processor type was used for the fedora core 1 distribution, i.e.
> i386, i586, i686, or ??? ? If one of the lower performing types was
> used, is there a way to upgrade everything to a more modern processor,
> i.e. at least i686?

Most everything is compiled with arch. for i386 with optimizations for
i686/Athlon/etc. So what's happening is that it's not using anything a
i386 ~doesn't~ have but includes optimizations to be used if the
hardware supports it. It's not
super-custom-always-on-tweaked-to-the-limit but it's also fine for most
everything and perhaps more stable overall.

Cheers, -Ali

--
OpenPGP Key: 030E44E6